- To engage farmers, agricultural professionals and other members of the organic agriculture community with timely and relevant science-, experience-, and regulation-based information in a variety of media and educational formats
- To foster a national organic research and outreach community
eOrganic is the eXtension Resource Area for Organic Agriculture
You can find eOrganic’s resources for farmers, ranchers, agricultural professionals, certifiers, researchers and educators seeking reliable information on organic agriculture at eXtension (pronounced e-extension) http://www.eXtension.org/organic_production.
eOrganic’s initial content focused on general organic agriculture, dairy production, and vegetable production, but eOrganic members are now developing content on other farming systems and topics. All content is collaboratively authored and peer-reviewed by eOrganic’s community of University researchers and Extension personnel, other agricultural professionals, farmers, and certifiers with experience and expertise in organic agriculture.
- Articles: eOrganic’s articles cover everything from the nuts and bolts of organic production for beginners to the latest information and technology for advanced producers http://extension.org/organic_production.
- Videos: Because a moving picture is worth a thousand words, short video segments highlighting organic practices are featured at eOrganic. Producers and researchers demonstrate innovative cover cropping, reduced tillage, cultivation, soil management, pest management and marketing strategies. You can find eOrganic’s videos at eXtension (http://extension.org/article/18726) and at eOrganic’s Youtube site (http://www.youtube.com/eOrganic)
- Webinars: Our webinar series allows farmers, agricultural professionals and others to participate in live presentations by researchers, educators and farmers. To ask a question, participants type a question in the chat box. Find our archived webinars and upcoming webinar information at http://extension.org/organic_production
- Ask-an-Expert: People need answers to questions that aren’t currently answered in eOrganic’s content. To get an answer, eOrganic supports eXtension’s Ask-an-Expert. Users submit questions at eXtension.org and a community member or members with appropriate expertise reply to the request via email. Find Ask-an-Expert by clicking on the Question boxes in the upper right hand corner or at the bottom of any of eOrganic’s article pages.
- eOrganic members are now developing online short courses and additional opportunities to connect with organic practitioners and service providers.
eOrganic (at eOrganic.info) is a developing virtual organic agriculture research/outreach community
You can participate in a national organic agriculture research/outreach community at eOrganic.info, eOrganic’s virtual workspace and community hub. eOrganic community members convene at eOrganic.info to network, discuss, learn together, collaborate, manage research/outreach projects, and publish peer-reviewed articles, FAQs, videos, and other content to eXtension.org.
A central feature in eOrganic is the ability to join or create groups. Each group receives tools for project development including a group workspace where members can collaboratively edit documents and share files and photos. Groups also get a forum for discussion, a tool to make announcements, and a shared calendar. Groups can be subject-based for creating eXtension materials, or project-based for research groups. Project-based groups can use eOrganic for communication, collaborative document writing (proposals, reports, etc.), and publishing to eXtension.